Analysis & Context
Israeli air strikes in Gaza just days before Trump's Board of Peace meeting. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Israeli air strikes target Gaza Palestinians just days before Board of Peace meetingTopic:Unrest, Conflict and War7m ago7 minutes agoSun 15 Feb 2026 at 10:58pmDelegations from more than 20 countries are expected to attend Donald Trump's first "Board of Peace" meeting. (Reuters: Jonathan Ernst)In short:A new wave of Israeli air strikes in the Gaza Strip has killed at least 11 Palestinians, local officials say.An Israeli military official says the strikes were a response to ceasefire violations by the Palestinian militant group Hamas.What's next?US President Donald Trump says members of his newly created Board of Peace will pledge more than $7 billion for reconstruction and humanitarian efforts in Gaza at their first meeting on Thursday.abc.net.au/news/israeli-air-strikes-days-before-board-of-peace-meeting/106348162Link copiedShareShare articleAt least 11 Palestinians have been killed in the Gaza Strip in the latest Israeli strikes in the Middle Eastern conflict, Palestinian officials say.It comes just days before US President Donald Trump's newly created "Board of Peace" meets to plan the end of the war between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group in Gaza, Hamas.Gaza medics said an Israeli air strike on a tent encampment housing displaced families killed at least four people.Health officials said another strike killed five in Khan Younis in the south, while another person was shot dead in the north.Sunday's air strikes also targeted what was thought to be a commander of the militant Islamic Jihad group, an ally of Hamas, in the Tel Al-Hawa neighbourhood in Gaza City, Reuters reports. Mourners react during the funeral of Palestinians killed in an overnight Israeli strike, according to medics, in Khan Younis. (Reuters: Ramadan Abed)Hazem Qassem, Hamas spokesperson in Gaza, accused Israel of committing a new "massacre" against displaced Palestinians, calling it a serious breach of the October ceasefire.An Israeli military official called Sunday's strikes "precise" and in line with international law, saying they were a response ceasefire violations by the Palestinian militant group Hamas. Israel and Hamas have repeatedly traded blame for violations of the ceasefire deal, a key element of Mr Trump's plan to end the Gaza war, the deadliest and most destructive in the generations-old Israeli-Palestinian conflict.What is Donald Trump's Board of Peace?Donald Trump appears to be trying to build his own international peacekeeping body. Here's why experts think it might attempt to rival the UN.The war started with the October 7, 2023, Hamas attack on southern Israel that killed more than 1,200 people, according to Israeli tallies. Israel's air and ground war in Gaza has killed more than 72,000 people since then, according to Palestinian health ministry data.Board of Peace to pledge $7 billionUS President Donald Trump said members of his newly created Board of Peace will announce at an upcoming meeting on Thursday a pledge of more than US$5 billion ($7 billion) for reconstruction and humanitarian efforts in Gaza.In a post on Truth Social on Sunday, Mr Trump wrote that member states have also committed thousands of personnel toward a UN-authorised stabilisation force and local police in the Palestinian enclave.Why Asian countries are joining Trump's Board of PeaceBilled as a bold new route to global peace, Donald Trump's Board of Peace is prompting governments from Asia to join.The US president said Thursday's gathering, the first official meeting of the group, will take place at the Donald J Trump Institute of Peace in Washington DC which the State Department recently renamed after the president.Delegations from more than 20 countries, including heads of state, are expected to attend.The board's creation was endorsed by a United Nations Security Council resolution as part of the Trump administration's plan to end the war.Israel and Hamas agreed to the plan last year with a ceasefire officially taking effect in October.Regional Middle East powers including Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Israel — as well as emerging nations such as Indonesia — have joined the board.ReutersPosted 7m ago7 minutes agoSun 15 Feb 2026 at 10:58pm, updated 6m ago6 minutes agoSun 15 Feb 2026 at 10:59pmShare optionsCopy linkFacebookX (formerly Twitter)Top StoriesRadical immigration policy banning countries being considered by LiberalsTopic:Liberal Party of Australia